EVO Moment #37: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0
What are fighting games, and how do they work? An introduction to the genre, and the basic rundown of their universal mechanics and concepts.
- Analysis: Why Button Mashing Doesn’t Work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R0hbe8HZj0
- An introduction to the system mechanics to fighting games, in a general sense that should be easy to understand for the average person.
- (In case this assumption is made) When you get to it– No one actually calls it “Shen Long.”
- Analysis: Tekken – The Difference Between 2D and 3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGSkWVXE2mo
- Self-explanatory: What makes 2D games and 3D games so different from each other?
- What is the FGC? How Hype, Sweat and Tears Saved Gaming’s Oldest Scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY176IOvS_c
- Also self-explanatory: This is a simple introduction that will set up the dive for the other videos.
[Some backstory] Playing with others, an in-depth view of going past “playing online against a bunch of randoms.” What kind of things can you expect at events? What can you find out there?
- FGC: Rise of the Fighting Game Community [FULL MOVIE]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkdCdrzj7Ik
- A light introduction to the fighting game community, focuses on a couple of players, and introduces a few tournaments.
- The most notable things to understand:
- What goes through the mind of the community members when it comes to tournaments?
- What ideas keep getting brought up?
- Pay special attention to what you see of EVO and the (names of) players.
- The Story of EVO: Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qppcyLgFuK0
- What is EVO? What is it? How did it start?
- EVO’s roots, the events before, and lead-up.
- The Story of EVO: Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZXGtxaU1Y&
- The recent years, retold.
[The life of …] …How have some of the current fighting game series survived? How have they influenced the sphere of fighting games as a whole? Which ones were saved, and by what or who? What have people done to sustain the FGC?
- Inside Combo Breaker – Games, Culture, and the Midwest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXoHFeG5Baw
- Insight into fighting game tournaments
- This takes you into the eyes of Rick “TheHadou,” the director of Combo Breaker
- Long Live The Night: An Under Night In-Birth Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9GXR5Y4mU
- Under Night In-Birth, a game in the anime genre that rose to popularity and won in prominence over the others due to pure passion of the players.
- Road To King of Iron Fist – Tekken 7 Documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugCiMKCLzk4
- Tekken, its competitive history, and a focus on the Tekken 7 North American tour early in the game’s life. Features several players and their perspective on the game.
- Locals #2: Fighting Tuesday (Feat. Majin Obama): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcBlb69aM2Y
- Fighting Tuesdays! These are the locals in Tokyo’s Red Bull Sphere. What does it take to grow and feed a scene?
- Core-A Gaming and Making Good Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78nRAilQYe4
- The face behind Core-A Gaming, the man who created the first two Analysis video, and many others (on his Youtube channel).
- Content-creation and what goes behind making a good piece?
- The Story of Super Smash Bros.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmqbRcmZeMU
- The tumultuous history of Nintendo’s most popular franchise
Live either the origin or life of a player throughout fighting game history. What have they done? Who are they?
Some of the hypest matches in fighting game history.
Supplementary information: Fighting Games Glossary https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games